quinta-feira, 19 de setembro de 2013

Speciesism

     It really caught my attention when I was searching for articles, papers, or posts about the speciesism regarding donkeys. I was extremely surprised – and frustrated - because I didn’t find many things. Most of the texts mentioned donkeys as a brief example of speciesism practice.

          Therefore, I decided to write some thoughts and examples from my personal experience. First of all, male and non-castrated donkeys are called jack or jackass. Does this sound familiar to you? I bet it does! “Jackass” is a common and cultural American expression for “stupid people” or “stubborn people”, which is even registered on reliable dictionaries. This is the esult of ordinary culture and lack of knowledge regarding this animal’s behavior; a great part of society still believes that jackasses are really passive or headstrong beings. People don’t get to know the natural behavior of donkeys and are still reluctant in reviewing their previous concepts. Maybe if they did, a person who was “insulted” as jackass would be very happy in response, because donkeys are extremely gentle, patient and smart! 


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário